Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Spring Forward

We are now beginning to enter the early days of spring in Durango. This is a new experience for me--seasons. I am used to the difference between rain and no rain, hot days and cooler days, but this is amazing. All winter we've been waking up to fresh snow. I have had a great time working at the ski resort. It has been character building to be sure--dealing with thousands of people and learning to relate to my co-workers who's highest priority in life is where to get their next free drink or cheap pot. I have been able to have some great conversations with liftys (the guys who work the chair lifts) and my fellow ticket checkers. I hope I've been able to be a witness to the authenticity and grace I've come to expect from the people of God's kingdom. Now, however, I'm starting to look to spring. With the warmer weather and longer days, the whole town is buzzing. Everyone is making their plans for their next seasonal job. The concept of new beginnings and transition are not foreign to this place at all. It is exciting and it seems you have an inroad with every person you meet, "so, what are you doing for the summer?" I'm even starting to get calls from people wanting to book Hummer tours!

I think I could get used to this seasonal life--enjoying the season I am in while looking forward to the one to come. I'm curious about this spring and summer. I'm wondering what people God will bring to us and how he will equip us to care for them.

My prayers right now are focused mainly on people. It seems that recently every single family in our church has been going through some sort of crisis. These situations are not fun in any way, but they do have a way of bringing us together. There is also our house transition (selling this one and buying a cheaper one) and finances for the fall. I've been reading a book by Dallas Willard called, The Divine Conspiracy which is basically a book about the Sermon on the Mount. It has a lot to say about how to live in the Kingdom and the importance of making our requests known to God.

I am most grateful right now for all of you who have followed our journey and taken care of us from a distance. I have been inspired and humbled by every one of you who have kept up with us and prayed with us over the last year. You remind me of what it is like to relate to Jesus. It is a precious yet lopsided relationship. What you bring to our lives here, the ways in which you have supported and cared for us, I could never adequately reciprocate. Instead of this being a shameful deterrent to our relationship, however, it seems to endear you to me all the more. Steve, Jenn, and I are going to be in California the first weekend in May. We'll be sending out the details soon, but I have to say that this visit is one of the things I am most looking forward to this spring. I can't wait to come together with as many of you as possible and share what God has done in our lives and in Durango over the last year. Thank you all for your sacrifice and friendship.

No comments: