Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Amazing Grace

Last night, Jenn and I went to see a movie called, Amazing Grace--the story of William Wilburforce, the British abolitionist in the late 1700's. The movie started with two strikes against it in my movie criteria: it is set in a Victorian context, and it is about Christians (not that I have a problem with Christians, but I've never been too impressed with movies about them--ask me about the "Distant Thunder" series sometime). In the end, I really enjoyed the film. It was definitely a movie about a Christian and his struggle to effect change in the world, but it was more about how this Christian lived than showing him explain his faith. The underlying theme is the song, Amazing Grace written by a priest who had once been a slave ship captain. I was most affected by the elements of the movie depicting a man (Wilburforce) who is consumed with passion for what he becomes convinced is his calling from God. For all the passion and conviction he feels about his calling, he also feels as if it is tearing him apart. He leaves the context of the politics of abolition to try and recouperate only to find that he cannot leave his calling behind. To abandon his call would be far worse than the toll it was taking on him to pursue it.


While I don't endorse burning ourselves out in whatever we are doing, I see in this story the truth that once the Christ-follower encounters God's direction and call on their lives there is no escaping it, as joyous, liberating, heart-wrenching, or discouraging as it may, at times, be. I like the idea of being so captured by Jesus that I can only continue on any path that leads toward him--anything else seems pointless. There is something about the certainty and clarity of the vision that Jesus offers that overshadows the toll life can take on us all.

Anyhow...good flick!

1 comment:

boutry said...

saw it last night...awesome!