Thursday, July 19, 2012

Some time has passed since I last updated this blog. The Nazarite vow seems like it was so long ago now--a cool experience, to be sure. I think the highlight was having RM (a 24 year old with down's syndrome) shave my head at the end of the vow. I was working for a local organization with adults with disabilities. RM had a blast with the clippers. Some clients laughed, some burst into tears at the sight of my shaved head, and some didn't even notice. I guess that sums up the moment for me too! My goal in doing the vow was to move toward God--check. I wanted to do something for God with no expectation of what he might do in return. It didn't turn my life upside down, I didn't get struck down because there is no temple to truly end the vow in, and I didn't move into the desert and leave my family behind. A year or so later, here are some of the things that have stuck with me:
A real appreciation for simplicity. I sometimes miss only having three shirts to choose from. I liked the space it gave me to think of other things. I have more clothes now, but I have had a couple of "thinning" sessions to get rid of excess in the past year. I can do stuff that requires discipline and commitment. I've never considered myself (or really been considered) a disciplined person. I live a life full of variety and some spontaneity. Doing the vow was a great exercise in committing to something that takes time and following through with it. In the time since the vow, I committed to lose weight and get healthier and have followed through with it in ways I was never able to before. I started riding a bike and commuting (I live ten miles and 1000feet above town-so that's an accomplishment) to town when I can. I feel like I can make commitments and follow through with them. A greater capacity for constant interaction with God. When there is no one else around you growing out their hair for spiritual reasons or sporting the same three outfits on purpose, you don't have a lot of community to fall back on. I learned to talk to God in a more familiar way--less, "Dear God" and more, "Hey, what about that?". The only downside, which wasn't that bad, was seeing just how many a$#holes there are out there who are just looking for someone to put down and curse and badmouth for trying to do something to move toward God. Sometimes the general spirit of condemnation and malevolence among "Christians" can be depressing. Most of my friends outside church circles, on the other hand, seemed to really respect and be into the vow. So, that pretty much sums up the Nazarite portion of my life. I'm hoping to catch up on this blog in the next couple weeks and start sharing/processing some of the other, newer things going on at CTK Durango and in my life in general.

No comments: